A chamber of commerce, sometimes referred to as a board of trade, is a type of business network comprised of businesses with a goal of furthering the interests of local businesses.
Chambers of commerce have an early history. The first chamber of commerce was founded in 1599 in Marseille, France, followed by Bruges, Belgium 65 years later. (Click for a full history)
The Canadian Chamber of Commerce, comprised of a network of 450+ community chambers of commerce representing 200,000+ Canadian businesses, seeks to advocate for public policies that encourage a vibrant and competitive business environment across Canada. The Ontario Chamber of Commerce is an independent, non-partisan voice for Ontario businesses, and represents 135+ local chambers of commerce and local boards of trade.
Shortly after launching my business, Jennifer Baker Consulting, I became a member of the Greater Kingston Chamber of Commerce with a goal to increase my connections and knowledge of the community. The following year I joined the board of directors, and subsequently joined the Executive Committee. In 2017, I served as Chair of the Greater Kingston Chamber of Commerce. During this time, I learned about the inner workings, opportunities and challenges that are faced by chambers of commerce, including brand management, fiscal responsibilities, membership, sponsorship, and event promotion.
With these topics in mind, coupled with my social media experience, I have launched: Chamber of Commerce & Social Media | Virtual Training!
This course has been designed as a webinar/online training, and focuses on topics that impact many chambers of commerce.
- Improving Your Chamber’s Online Brand:
January 29, 10am-12pm EST
- Growing Your Chamber’s Social Media Following:
February 5, 10am-12pm EST
- Making (MORE) Money with Your Chamber’s Social Media:
February 12, 10am-12pm EST
- Using Social Media to Promote Your Chamber’s Activities:
February 19, 10am-12pm EST
- Growing Your Membership Through Social Media:
February 27, 10am-12pm EST
- Facebook Advertising:
March 5, 10am-12pm EST
You might also like
- How to Optimize Your Facebook Cover Photo for Mobile and Desktop Devices
- 4 Ways to Plan Your Social Media Content for the 4th Quarter
- 4 Types of Negative Posts and How You Can Handle Each One
- 7 Ideas for your Back-to-School Campaign on Social Media