Although Facebook has been around for 12 years, there are many people who are learning the ins-and-outs of this intricate social media networking website.
There is much confusion around requirements on behalf of the user, as well as personal privacy when setting up a Facebook Page.
A Facebook page is a public profile specifically created for businesses, and organizations. Unlike a personal timeline, pages gain “LIKES” – which are other Facebook users who choose to “LIKE” a page.
To set-up a Facebook Page, it is required that a user have a personal timeline. (Note: Previously, this was not a requirement, but that rule has since changed.)
- Go to facebook.com/pages/create
- Click to choose a category
- Note: Likely, this will be either “Local Business or Place, OR Company, Organization, or Institution”
- Complete the required information
- Click Get Started and follow the on-screen instructions
- Note: You can click “Skip” through many of these 4 steps
Ta-Da! You’ve successfully created a Facebook Page!
To get started, I recommend the following next 10 steps:
- Add a Profile Photo
- Recommendation: The logo should be your profile photo. The optimal size: 180 x 180px
- Add a Cover Photo
- Recommendation: Create an interesting and engaging cover photo will limited text. The optimal size: 315 x 851px
- Complete the About Section
- This includes address, phone number, email, and any relevant information about your business.
- Secure a Username
- This is the web address for the Facebook Page. To update, visit “About” then “Page Info.” Short, concise addresses work best.
- Get Verified
- Local businesses can now get verified! Verified pages will be indicated with a small grey check mark. To update, visit “Settings” then “Verify Page.”
- Set-Up Call-to-Action Button
- Click the blue button under the Cover Photo that says “Set-up call to action”. Choose from a variety options, including ‘Contact Us,’ or ‘Call Now.’
- “LIKE” Other Business Pages
- Get social! Reach out to other local businesses and “LIKE” their Page. This can be done by visiting “See Pages Feed” then “Like Other Pages.”
- Invite (relevant) Facebook Friends to “LIKE” the Page
- Know friends who may be interested in your business? Invite them to join! Under the Cover Photo, click “More” then “Invite Friends.”
- Share the Page to your Personal Timeline
- Sharing is a great way to announce your new page to friends! Click “More” then “Share.” Make sure that you’re sharing to your personal timeline.
- Create Your First Post
- Ah! Now the work begins! Create your first Facebook Page post, making sure to include images (e.g. photos, graphics) and hashtags (no more than 3, please) all while using a friendly and human voice.
What are your Facebook Page tips?